Carrollton, OH 44615-0067
In 1938, a group of rural people organized Carroll Electric Cooperative and obtained a 100% loan from the Rural Electrification Administration (R.E.A.), an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Lines were built with funds advanced by the R.E.A. and electricity was made available to nearly everyone who paid a $10.00 membership fee to the cooperative. In December 1939, the lines were energized for the first time and suddenly lights started dotting the Carroll, Columbiana, Harrison, Jefferson, Tuscarawas, and Stark County’s countryside. Members then used an average of only 40 kWh. Today the average monthly usage has increased to approximately 1100 kWh. Carroll Electric now serves over 11,600 members with a system of over 1407 miles of line.